1. Our History
In the early 1930's a man called Jerry Williams owned a small vessel, the Omokoroa.
Local people started pressuring him to take them out on fishing trips, and it soon became apparent that a purpose-built charter boat would be ideal for fishing trips and to also take over the barging work which was very necessary on the harbour in those days.
The RATAHI was commissioned and built by the O'Rourke brothers in Auckland. She was launched in 1938 and has been working on the harbour and taking people out fishing and to Mayor Island ever since.
We purchased her in 1988, when she was in a very run down state and worked on bringing her up to an excellent standard again. She then worked very successfully out of Whakatane for five years until we moved our whole operation to Tauranga...she was home again!
Recently she has undergoing major improvements with extensions to the wheelhouse to add comfort and user friendliness, and to take her forward for the next 70 years!